Five Reasons To Visit Your Local Farmer’s Market:
1. Cost. At the very least, you can find cheaper produce at markets than you can in any grocery store - and better quality too. You can also buy some things in bulk (peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, apples etc.) which saves you money as well.
2. You Know Where Your Food Comes From. Farmers are proud of their produce and will likely tell you all you care to know about their farms and gardening methods if given the chance. Get to know ‘the pepper guy’ named Neil and the ‘redhead with the best tomatoes’, and you’ll learn a great deal about your food. You might even get offered a deal or two down the line for being a loyal customer.
3. New & Interesting Foods – Heirloom varieties of fruits and vegetables aren’t the only new foods you might discover at the market. You’re also likely to find edible flowers, fresh herbs and lettuces and homemade pastas and bread products. Many stands even allow you to try a taste before you buy! Who doesn’t like nibbling on fresh raspberries and peaches as you feast your eyes on local grub?
4. If You Shop Healthy, You Eat Healthy. Shopping at the farmers market means you’ll come home with plenty of fruits and vegetables and not over-processed and over-packaged junk. You’re more likely to eat healthy meals if you stock your kitchen with fresh fruits and veggies from the market!
5. Being Kinder to the Environment – When you get your food from local sources, it means less trucking or shipping which reduces the number of miles your food has to travel to get to your table. You’ll be helping to keep pollutants out of the air simply by choosing to eat food grown nearer to your home.
Find The Nearest Market To You:
*Thanks to my sister Rachel, for letting me use this super cute pic of her getting excited over broccoli! ;)