Posts tagged with vegan:
I wasn’t sure what to have for lunch today and I felt like making a funky salad. I got a little adventurous with some of the flavors in my fridge and in the end, even I was surprised at how well it turned out!
- 1 large beet
- 1 large purple carrot
- 1 large yellow carrot
- 1 small red onion
- 1 cup baby spinach
I wish I had a spiralizer for things like this, it would make the beets look like noodley pasta - yum! But thinly slicing with a knife or peeler works just fine too. :) Make sure the slices aren’t too thick or too wide. Also be warned - your hands will turn a bit pinkish/purpleish after handling beets. ;)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 spoonful of chia seeds
- handful of fresh sprouts (broccoli, alfalfa etc.)
Lightly process and drizzle the dressing on top with fresh herbs of your choosing. Here I chose some of my favorites: basil, parsley and thyme. Makes for a simple, savory and zesty light dish.
“To keep the body in good health is a duty… otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.” - Buddha
A lot of people ask me how I started eating a high-raw, plant-based diet and the truth is - I am not an over-night convert. I took the very slow and very unsteady approach. I didn’t make any drastic changes because my health was never that drastically poor. I think a lot of people are on the same page when it comes to to their health and fitness; it’s difficult to become fully inspired and self-motivated to make the changes to your diet and lifestyle when you can’t really recognize that anything’s wrong.
The one thing that I began to do that really changed my attitude towards food and health was keeping note of the various physical and emotional connections I was experiencing when I ate poorly - junk food, animal products, heavy fats etc… The phrase, “when you eat shit, you feel like shit” rings astoundingly true.The simple act observing my own behavior caused me to become aware of my ability to control my mood and clarity of thought, peace of mind, physical strength and appearance. It was that sort of freedom that then inspired me to make more positive food and fitness choices, not because I was forcing or guilting myself to do them, but because I knew they caused me to feel good, to feel happiness - and every person wants to be happy, it’s natural - I just needed to re-learn what foods make me feel truly blissed out!
Begin to notice how your food choices affect:
- The quality of your sleep - Note times awakened depth of sleep, dreams, thoughts and ease of falling to sleep.
- How you feel when you wake up - Note how rested you feel, your bodys aches or stiff joints, stuffed or runny nose, energy level, emotions, attitude, how your face looks (puffy, eyes, skin clarity etc.)
- How you feel the rest of the day - Physically: energy levels, areas of discomfort, cold hands/feet, allergies, etc. Mentally: alertness, clairty of thought, etc. Emotionally: out of control feelings, connection to others, self-views etc.
- Bowel Movements - Let’s be honest, your shit is important and directly related to your health. If your having painful or lengthy BMs, then your diet is probably in need of a tune up. Note the time, frequency, quality and ease of elimination.
- How you feel relative to each meal - Note your level of hunger, enjoyment of the meal, any emotions before, during or after, energy level before and after (it shouldn’t drop), satisfaction, fatigue etc.
For me, it was (and still is) a slow, day by day journey. In my experience, awareness is something you grow and nurture. It started with me eating more fruits and veggies, and less cheese and oil and now I’ve lost 45 lbs, rid myself of asthma, gained confidence, clarity and peace of mind with a cruelty-free diet and I’m loving where I’m at.
I recommend keeping a log like the one above, or even just mental notes throughout the day and I promise you’ll start seeing connections and feeling the urge to make better choices. I really believe that every meal is an opportunity for change! :)
Well here I am at day four of my juice fast! I’m feeling good, besides being a bit tired, but that’s just because I didn’t get enough sleep. My boyfriend is done his juice fast, but I can’t decide if I want to continue on for another day or two… If so, I’m definitely going to need to get more greens & oranges! hehe. :)
Well - if you aren’t aware of it by now - I FREAKING LOVE GREEN JUICE!! Hehee. Currently feasting on this delicious combo that I just had to share with you guys! If you’ve got a juicer, give it a shot & I promise you will not be disappointed! :)
- one big bunch of kale
- 1 lb baby spinach
- 4 gala apples
- 2 pears
- small nub of ginger